They say that knowledge is power, and when you are someone who practices Crossfit, your best protection is to know the most common types of injuries that you can sustain.
There are actually several commonly treated top Crossfit injuries, and they are:
- Lower back injuries – This one is probably no surprise to regular Crossfit athletes, as it takes only one bad movement or a second of poor form for the heavy weights to cause a lower back problem. Naturally, the key to overcoming these top CrossFit injuries is to work on obtaining the best form, strengthening the core, and working with a good chiropractor if you have concerns about your spinal strength, alignment, or even with the biomechanics of your movements.
- Knees – Again, probably not a big shock to those experienced with Crossfit simply because you call on your knees to perform many functions. The heavy weights and the need for good form can work against the knees, and it is imperative that any knee injuries are dealt with properly and fully. They are among the largest joints in our bodies, and so you cannot “work around” them. Full of different tendons, muscles, bones, cartilage, veins and more, knees can perform tremendous feats of strength, but only if taken care of properly.
- Shoulders – Almost anyone can damage the many components inside the shoulder, and it is most often the rotator cuff where Crossfit athletes sustain an injury. This can lead to what is described as entrapment syndrome that gives you the feeling of a “catch” in the shoulder when you try to raise a weight over your head. Never try to work through a shoulder problem; you cannot overcome it. You can heal and build strength, or you can over-use this important joint and end up needing surgery.
- Wrists – From “burpees” to lifting, Crossfit athletes put constant and changing demands on their wrists. They must be flexible and mobile to remain in good condition and yet when you push these joints too hard they are easily injured. Wrist care is a huge part of Crossfit training, so be sure you don’t overlook this part of your body as these are some of the top CrossFit injuries.
- Elbows – Imagine being in position for a front squat. The bar is ready and you are in the front rack position. You go to life and all you feel is pain in the elbow burning up to the shoulder. You cannot do the movement and you wonder what has gone wrong. This is a common occurrence when the bar is in the wrong position and the elbow pays the price. Recovery is possible with rest and therapy, and any elbow damages cannot be ignored.
A good physiotherapist and chiropractor are your best resources when facing top CrossFit injuries. Don’t play through with Crossfit injuries as they will not heal properly and cause you to struggle with all of your exercises in the future.
Don’t let these injuries scare you from trying or continuing Crossfit. Check out Crossfit at Alinea!
InjuryClinicDallas.com. Top 5 Crossfit Injuries.