– Chiropractic care is effective in creating a more comfortable pregnancy and is proven to treat things such as back pain, headaches, nausea, and carpel tunnel, chiropractic care during pregnancy has been shown to reduce overall labor times as well.
Is chiropractic care safe during pregnancy?
– YES, Chiropractic adjustments are safe during pregnancy. Doctors of chiropractic make alterations in techniques and patient positioning to accommodate for the increase in belly and breast size. Spinal adjustments are especially gentle during pregnancy and far less force is used.
How does chiropractic care help during pregnancy?
– Headaches – Due to the tilt in the neck as a result of posture and the misalignments common to the forward shoulders and looser ligaments, nerve receptors in the neck can be irritated and map out a headache as a response.
– Pelvic alignment - Proper pelvic alignment allows the baby enough room to grow properly at each stage.
– as you get closer to labor, a properly aligned pelvis allows the baby to move to the proper head down position allowing an easier labor and delivery.
– If a pregnant mom does not have proper alignment of the pelvic joints, tightening and spasm of the uterine ligaments and uterine muscle can occur which is termed inuteroconstraint. This condition can block the baby’s ability to turn properly and is the main cause of breech presentations.
–Nausea - When the upper neck misaligns, it can rotate and choke the nerve tissue, one of the symptoms which can occur is nausea. While nausea is a normal part of pregnancy, a chiropractic examination can determine if in fact this symptom is actually a result of nerve interference in the neck.
–Back Pain - 76 % of women experience back pain during some portion of their pregnancy. This is due to the shifts in posture and the hormonal changes which occur as the weight gain continues.
How Does Chiropractic care help during labor?
Women who have undergone chiropractic adjustments during their pregnancy report that their labors are easier and less stressful on their bodies.
– A study revealed that first time mothers under chiropractic care had 24% shorter labor times versus women who were not. Without chiropractic care, the first time mom labored approximately 14 hours and with chiropractic care labor was averaged at 8-9 hours.
– Chiropractic patients who have had previous children enjoyed 39% shorter labor times. For moms having their second or more baby, they labored approximately 9-10 hours and with chiropractic care during pregnancy, this was reduced to approximately 4-5 hours of labor.
– Chiropractic adjustments during pregnancy can also reduce the likelihood of experiencing back labor. This is usually caused by position of the fetus with the baby’s back of their skull pressed against the sacrum instead of against the front of the pelvis.
– Avoidance of this painful condition therefore contributes to less likelihood of requiring pain medication during delivery.
–Any baby position even slightly off during birth will slow down labor, and add pain to both the mother and baby. Many women have been told that their babies were too big, or labor “just slowed down” when it was really the baby’s presentation interfering with the normal process and progression.