Many people have found themselves with more free time than they ever wanted as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. As a result, they have turned to exercise during COVID-19. This is overwhelmingly good news, of course. However, with so many new people exercising during this time, there is an increased risk of injury to people. Here are a few tips on why it is important to exercise, and how you can do so safely.
How to Stay Active Indoors
Many people have wondered how to stay active indoors during this time period. Fortunately, there are many ways to do this. If possible, you can get a yoga mat or weight set, or clear a space that you can do cardio in a room in your house. Broadly speaking, keep a few things in mind:
- Start slowly! Even if you are experienced at exercising, engaging in a brand new routine can potentially damage muscles if they aren’t used to working out.
- Make sure your space is completely clear of any objects that can hit you or be shaken loose.
- Don’t exercise without first checking with your doctor or a medical professional.
- Make sure to properly warm up at the beginning and stretch and foam at the end of each workout to help prevent injury.
- Save workout videos. There are plenty of videos out there including our exercise videos on YouTube that you can save and do right in your own home.
Safety Tips While Staying Active Outdoors
You can stay active outdoors, even in these times of social distancing. Of course, there are a few things you can do to keep yourself and others around you safer:
- Always stay at least six feet away from other people.
- This may be obvious but we feel the need to remind you: Don’t touch anything. Handrails, polls, buttons etc. Use your elbow if you have to.
- Make sure you are keeping an eye out for cars, bicycles and any other wheeled vehicle that may not be able to stop as easily as you.
- Only use an item like a bike if you feel you can do so safely.
- Smile at others! Remember we are all in this together.
Importance of Staying Active During COVID-19
Regular exercise can not only help you stay in shape, but it can improve your mood and keep your mind sharp. Indeed, during this time of increased stress, many studies show that depression, anxiety, and boredom can all be chased away due to exercise. Furthermore, exercise during COVID-19 can help fill the gap caused by no longer going to work and or not being able to go to the gym. Staying active and exercising can help fill a critical lack of physical activity especially during this stressful time. Our Mission Bay location is still open for those able to come in and for those who aren’t we are offering virtual services ! Call us with any questions at (415) 788-8700!